Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2017

A New Chapter


Hey peeps!

I am on the verge of starting a new stage in my life known as tertiary education, better known as university. I thought I would tell you my thoughts, fears, and things I’m looking forward as I take this next step in my life.

I’ve always kind of known I was going to go to university. I never ever thought I would do a trade, go straight into work, or join the army (can you imagine? Nope, me neither). I never really knew what I was going to do at university up until about August last year. Well, I knew I wanted to do a business degree, but I had no idea that I wanted to do a creative and professional writing degree until I read through the course options book and thought ‘that sounds cool and I’ve always wanted to be an author, so why not?!’. Believe it or not, I wanted to do a business degree with an accounting major (which I may still do after I pass all my classes this year) since I was pretty good at accounting in school and I really enjoyed it (I know, crazy). I have always had a love for writing (ahem, obviously you do, Nicky, you have a blog), and even though I'm not that great at it (I only got C’s and rarely B’s during grade 11 and 12).

I’m a bit worried about starting this new chapter (get it? ‘cause I'm a writing student? I’ll see myself out) in my life as yet again I'm leaving all of my friends behind in pursuit of my career. In case you didn’t know, I was the only one from my primary school to go to the high school I went to. This time, however, I am armed with mobile phone numbers and Facebook, so I think I should be ok in terms of keeping my high school friends (I do love them a lot). Another fear of mine is that I will just fail at everything. What if I suck at writing? What if it turns out I know nothing about writing? What if I find no new friends and am alone for the next three (potentially four) years of my life? No joke, I had a dream the other night about performing a dance concert but I knew none of the dances and everyone else did, which kind of sums up my fears: everyone else knows what to do and I'm just flailing my arms around hoping I'm doing the write thing (get it? I know its incorrect grammar, but puns).

This does not mean, however, that I am not looking forward to things in the next few years. I get an opportunity to find and hone my strengths, gain new friends, and prove to myself that I can do things without completely drowning in incompetence. I am not incompetent and I will be just fine. Yes, all of my friends are going to different universities, but I have new friends waiting for me at mine that I haven’t even met yet! I do have books and things ready for February 27th and all I need is a new laptop with enough battery life to last the day. My current one I've had since grade 9 (around January 2013) and it lasts about 3 hours with a full charge (I am using it to write this post, obviously, and it is plugged into the wall since I don’t trust it to last that long). Overall, I am really excited for university and I can’t wait to start!

Are you starting a new chapter this year? What fears and ‘looking-forward-to’s did or do you have?


Love, Nicky x

No comments:

Post a Comment