Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2017

New Year, New Beginnings



Happy New Year peeps!

How’s 2017 treating you so far? Good? Good. As it is my first post of 2017, I would like to talk to you about some of the things in my life going on this year, and some aspirations and goals I would like to achieve during the year.



Going to University

As I graduated high school last year (wow that sounds weird: last year), I will be attending university this year (and for a couple more years after that). I haven’t yet received an offer from the uni I applied for, but they have sent me an email saying that I will be getting an offer on the 16th of this month. I am so excited! I will be finding out what I will be doing for potentially the next three or four years of my life! I have applied for a Bachelor of Business and a Bachelor of Fine Arts – Creative and Professional Writing at the Queensland University of Technology (QUT for short). I’m sure I will get into the writing course, as the OP I achieved (11) is not good enough to get into the business course, which needed an 8.



Getting a Job

Another thing I will be seriously looking into this year is finding a job. I need one. Well, Mum says I do, anyway. I think it would be a great way to earn some money for myself, but then that, mixed with having uni at least three days a week would mean that yet again this blog will be put on the back burner. I would like a job at my local shopping centre, seeing as it is really close to where I live. The only thing about that is that the last time I went around handing out resumes, they all said:

“We don’t take physical resumes.”
“Try applying online.”
“Go to our website and apply there.”

This is great and all, but when I go online to apply for a job that was advertised in the physical store, there is no job opening listed. Do you see my problem? Mum keeps on saying that if I keep looking, a job will come up eventually, but I don’t know how much more rejection my self-esteem can take.



Learning to Drive

I also have to get back into learning to drive this year. Like this blog, learning to drive was put on the back burner since September last year (September 11th, to be exact). I have racked up a total of 38 hours and 58 minutes of driving (though most of it was triple time, so I’ve really only driven for about 19 hours). I know how to do the basics (mostly).

The last time I did driving, I stalled the car at a green (previously red) light and there were people waiting behind me and I was panicking (by this point I had stalled it maybe twice or three times in a row and the people were getting impatient). The worst part was that I was starting on a slight hill and I am not confident with hill starts, so I just revved the engine (maybe a bit too much) and fluked my way through the intersection, practically hearing the other drivers’ thinking ‘thank God she finally used the right pedal’.

So those are my major goals for 2017, now here are some minor goals that are still important, but not ‘top three’ important:

1. Build up this blog more. Basically, I would like to post weekly, perhaps do giveaways, and integrate ads once I turn 18 (only a couple though, not too many).
2. Read more books. I have gotten back into reading recently (in case you couldn’t tell from the amount of books I got for Christmas) and would like to expand my imagination and vocabulary by reading some books. I am going to try to read one book per month and will tell you the books I have read and enjoyed in each monthly favourites.
3. Stop cracking my knuckles. Scientifically, there are no side effects to knuckle cracking other than annoying and grossing out people in my vicinity. I have had this habit for about 2 years and my mum hates it, so I think it’s time to do something about it.

Do you have any goals for 2017? Are you starting anything new in 2017?

Love, Nicky x

No comments:

Post a Comment