Pages

Saturday, May 6, 2017

New Year's Goals Review


Hi everyone!

How was your week? Mine was alright. I may have failed one of the assignments I submitted, but I survived. Speaking of surviving, I got back into learning to drive this week (go me!). In other news, I am having pizza for dinner tonight. Like, real, crappy pizza from Coles (basically Walmart, Tesco, etc.) which cost $3 no less. Three whole dollars. Dad always buys the frozen pizzas since he knows there will be at least one night every week where he or Mum don’t feel like cooking anything, and tonight is that night. Anyway, that was a long and rambly intro into a post that has a completely different topic. What I want to talk about today is my new year’s resolutions, and if I’ve kept up with them or failed them completely. We are about a third of the way through 2017 (crazy, I know), so I thought it was a good time to look back and assess my progress, if there is any.

The first thing on my list was to get into university, which I did! We’re off to a good start considering I thought I would fail at a lot of these resolutions! I have been attending university for 9 weeks now and have successfully handed in 4 assessment pieces so I would say that I have had a great start to uni (even if I did fail one of my assignments, oops!). For those who are new, I got accepted into QUT to do a Bachelor of Fine Arts, specifically creative and professional writing, which I am really enjoying and learning a LOT. My subjects are Intro to Creative Writing, Creative Non-Fiction, Persuasive Writing and Writing Fundamentals. I like them so far and have made friends, which is good considering I thought I was going to be alone for the next few years.

My second resolution from the start of the year was to get a job. Welp. Here we go. I have been applying for jobs (not many, but still), but sometimes the companies don’t even have the courtesy to send me a “sorry but your resume sucks” email, which hits my self-esteem down a few pegs even though they didn’t tell me, it’s like I’m so bad I don’t even deserve a response. I think I’m coping alright without a job at the moment. Sure, I ask Mum for twenty bucks whenever I go out with my friends, but that barely happens so it’s okay, right?

The third resolution I have from the beginning of the year was learning to drive. As of that post, I hadn’t driven for about 3 and a half months. Now I can proudly say that as of writing this post, I drove just a couple of days ago. Technically I only started driving again this week, but hey, progress is progress. I think I have now racked up about 40 hours total, so I have about 60 to go, including another 8.5 hours of night time driving. I’m quite good at driving in straight lines, okay at hill starts, and I swear multi-point turns have given me nightmares. I also still need to learn a lot of the other manoeuvres, including parking in any form, whether that is parallel, reverse, or the upside-down-loop-de-loop-spin-around-touch-the-ground kind.

So, that’s the major goals out of the way, now it's time for some smaller ones. The first of those was to build up this blog more, including posting once a week, doing giveaways, and turning on ads. I have managed to post a post every Saturday (and I think once on Sunday) so far this year and I’m pretty proud of that. I haven’t done any giveaways yet and I’m not sure I will. They’re a little bit stressful and I don’t have any money to buy things to give away. As I am not 18 yet, I can’t integrate ads, but I have been looking into it and I’m pretty sure Google will let me have ads. I don’t think I’ll earn lots of money from it (not initially, anyway), but that isn’t my aim in the first place.

The second ‘minor’ goal is to read more books. According to Goodreads, I have read exactly one book. Okay, okay, I can explain. I have been waaaaaaaaay too busy with uni to even THINK about reading something not part of my set readings for the week. In all honesty, I thought I’d read more books than that, but I guess that’s why I’m a writing student, not a maths student. I am currently still reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, but it’s such a massive book that I don’t think I’ll finish it before the end of June. If you read my reading list post, you’ll know what I plan on reading next (and the one after that, and after that).

My third and final ‘minor’ goal was to stop cracking my knuckles. I have definitely tried to ease up on the frequency of knuckle cracking, but it’s just so addicting and I don’t know why. I really want to stop; Mum glares at me whenever she catches me doing it. The trouble is I find myself doing it when I’m not thinking about it. Just now, I stopped myself from doing it *pats own back*. It is really hard to stop doing something if you’ve been doing it for a long time. I guess it’s lucky that my addiction isn’t something bad like alcohol or smoking; I would have no chance!

Have you reviewed your 2017 goals? How are you going with them?

Love, Nicky x


No comments:

Post a Comment