Pages

Saturday, April 22, 2017

What if I Told You a Story?


Hey lovelies!

I had to do a little writing activity for uni a couple of weeks ago, and I thought I would share it with you. Tell me what you think in the comments below!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harrison Blackley was tall. Not too tall where it got ridiculous, but tall enough to be noticeable to short people like me. He has this kind of calming aura about him and always made everyone feel needed. He had the coolest friends and wore sunglasses inside. His hoodie was always up, but you could still see bits of his auburn hair sticking out at the top of his head. And now he’s gone. He didn’t vanish so much as fall right off the face of the earth. He hasn’t been seen by anyone I know in weeks and we’re all really worried. I never knew him that well, but he always seemed so okay, like nothing could or would ever go wrong in his life. Except it did, and it’s kind of my fault.

We caught the same bus home from uni every day, we were in the same course, we never really talked, but everyone thinks it’s my fault he’s gone. For the first few days, I didn’t notice him not get on the bus, but after about a week or so, I, and everyone else, knew something was off.

That is why I’m currently walking to the last place anyone saw him: his house. I need answers. I know no one will trust me with information but I must prove my innocence. His mother answers the door, clearly frazzled, then immediately slams the door in my face.

“Please, Mrs. Blackley! I need to talk to you!” I said, a sense of panic in my voice.

No answer. I hear muffled footsteps retreating from the door.

I watched as the sun set over the houses across the street; Mum will kill me if I’m out late again, especially now that I have a target on my back. I heard a car roll into the driveway.

“Hello, dear,” Mr. Blackley said, with the same calming demeanour as Harrison. His suit was crinkled from sitting at a desk all day.

I looked up at him, expecting him to ask me to leave, but quite the opposite happened.

“So, what brings you here, Katie?” Mr. Blackley said with a smile.

“Well, Harrison is missing.”

“I know.”

“I need to know who did it. Everyone thinks it's me.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know. I was the one who saw him last, I guess.”

Mr. Blackley seemed so unaware of any information about his son’s disappearance, and there was no way I was getting information out of his mother. She stormed out of the room when her husband let me sit at the dining table. One hour in and I had already hit a dead end. That was until I saw it; Harrison’s backpack was on the floor near the front door, packed and ready to go.

“Do you mind if I look through that, sir?” I said, pointing to the bag, “It might have clues to his disappearance.”

He nodded his consent. I hurried over to the bag, eager for clues. Digging through the bag, there were normal teenage boy things: aerosol deodorants, notebooks, textbooks. I began to give up hope, until I closed my hand over a cold metallic object; his phone!

Should I do this? I want to find him, but I don’t want to get in too deep. Oh, screw it.

I switched on his phone. Oddly enough, there was no passcode, like he wanted it to be found, like he wanted to be found.

“Can I keep this, sir? To investigate it more?” I said, gesturing to the phone in my hand.

“Well, Harry’s not using it, is he?” he said with a distant laugh. 

I thanked him and left for home, the setting sun a distant memory, with a phone in my pocket and a bit more optimism than I had when I had arrived.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What did you think? Did you like it? Would you read the rest of the story?

Love, Nicky x

No comments:

Post a Comment