Pages

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Inside Jokes and Ear Pokes



Hey peeps!

I’ve heard a lot recently that it’s really hard to maintain a blog while studying at university. I guess it is, in a way. It has been harder to find time (and ideas some weeks), but I’m mostly okay. I have the occasional writers’ block, which happens relatively frequently as not only am I writing as a hobby, it is also what I’m studying. At the moment, I have to write a nine-line poem by Sunday. I have never written a poem in my life and have no idea what to write about. We were told in the tutorial that it doesn’t have to mean anything and it doesn’t even have to rhyme, but I want to make it rhyme and have meaning, otherwise, I don’t really see it as a poem. It would just be a bunch of words thrown together and labelled a poem (not unlike any of my other assignments, but shh!).

I don’t really know what the point of this blog post is, so in a way, it is a giant poem. Except there are no line breaks, no metaphors and similes that flow like a gentle stream, igniting vivid imagery in the mind of every reader. There are words thrown onto a page in an order that suits the writer, who is quietly hoping that the readers can make sense of their rambling and poor excuses for humour. Anyway, the whole point of me saying this is that I don’t have any ideas this week. I am currently writing this the night before it goes up (not unlike any of my other assignments, but shh!), and hoping that my rambling and poor attempts at humour make sense to you, dear reader.

Let me tell you a story. The other night, when Mum and I were watching a reality TV show that rated so bad it wasn’t on weekends or prime time, I made a joke about one of the contestants. Without realising it, Mum had put her hand up offering me a high five. As I left her hanging for a bit too long, she decided to hit me on the side of the face instead. We then fell into fits of laughter for at least the next five minutes and whenever I get the chance, I high five the side of her face as a kind of inside joke that no one else gets. Also, about an hour ago, instead of getting my attention like a normal human, she decided to stick her finger in my ear. Not hard, but enough to know that it was in my ear. As I was leaning against the couch and she was sitting on the couch, I flinched my head straight into her knee. Again, we were laughing for a good while after. Tonight was also the night she discovered Bruno Mars is not actually called Bruno Mars, but Peter Hernandez. The happened prior to the ear poking incident (in fact, it may have been the instigator of the incident itself).

There was a market on tonight at our local park, advertising freshly made pizzas for a pretty cheap price. We decided to walk over to the park for a nice little family pizza dinner. We showed up to the place and it turns out the pizza was sold out. Walking back home with grim looks on our faces and stomachs still rumbling, I “subtly” suggested we had Maccas (translation: McDonalds, Mickey D’s, the Golden Arches) by humming the jingle. Mum reluctantly agreed, which is how we got to the ear poking situation.

Do you have any weird inside jokes? What do you call McDonalds?


Love, Nicky x

No comments:

Post a Comment