Pages

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Uni's Back and I'm Slack



Hey everyone!

Since it’s been so long since I’ve done one, I thought I’d give you all a bit of a life update. Not much has happened since then, but a lot of things are about to happen soon.

I go back to uni this week and I could not be less ready if I tried. I mean, sure, I have notebooks, pens and things, but I am not ready for the early starts and the assignments. I’ve been on uni holidays since early November last year and I feel like it has gone by like the snap of my fingers. At the beginning of the holidays I was looking forward to my four months off, to all the time I’d spend with my friends, sleeping in, and staying up until the early hours of the morning not having to worry about alarms.

I’ve sorted out my timetable and since I was two minutes late to the registration page, I have managed to get at least one class every single day. Pro-tip: get to the registration website at least half an hour early. I did have it all set out in a spreadsheet and it was going to be great. I’d get Mondays and Fridays off, but then I forgot about my pro-tip and landed all of the worst class times. I suppose it could be worse, though. At least I have all of my classes during daylight hours. Having classes at night would be awful, to say the least.

This semester I have elected to do tons of reading again. Unlike last semester, which was all children’s and teen’s books, nice and easy, this semester is all of the classics like Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, and some Shakespeare thrown in for good measure. Let’s just say I’m looking forward to being able to say that I’ve read them, but not so much looking forward to the hard slog that it will be actually reading them what with all of their olden day's language and confusing turns of phrase. And if the books themselves are a challenge, I can’t even begin to imagine what the assignments will be like. I was lucky last semester to not have any exams, but I don’t think I’ll be as lucky this time around.

Another thing about the books; they are expensive as bloody heck! All up, they come to around $200 (note to self: pay Mum back at some point). Sure, I already have Jane Eyre, but that was one of the cheaper ones so isn’t really that great of a saving in the first place. Maybe I should get onto reading Jane Eyre before I get bombarded with a whole lot more books, at least that’ll be a little bit of a head start…

My sleeping schedule has been completely messed up since about Christmas with me often falling asleep well past midnight and waking up well past what is deemed acceptable. To be fair, Mum’s definition of acceptable is 6 or 7 am. The fact that I wake up most days at 8 doesn’t seem like much of an issue to me, but to her, it’s a problem. One day in January I didn’t wake up until after midday and that was a shock and disappointment even to me. I didn’t tell Mum about that day; what she doesn’t know won’t hurt her. Anyway, what was my point? I had a point. Oh! I have to wake up at 6:30am most days and I have no idea how I’m going to do that. The first few weeks are going to be absolute hell on earth. Alarms will simultaneously be my best friend and worst enemy. I’ll cope though, I have done it before and I can do it now.

Other than that, that’s all that I have going on in my life right now (thank God) so this is where I leave you. Until next week, adios!


Love, Nicky x

No comments:

Post a Comment